I'm a techie and enjoy anything technical. Since I was a toddler, I've loved learning how things work by taking them apart. I'm a bit of an aircraft enthusiast having grown up near Heathrow, and you'll often find me taking my kids to see aircraft somewhere. Put me in a factory with machines that are moving and hissing, and I can spend hours just analysing what each one does and how. I like to ensure that I'm always giving whatever I do my best.
When I'm not working, my family takes up the majority of my spare time as do a couple of ventures that I started a while ago. I run an online social network that I designed and built as an experiment only to find it became more successful that I anticipated. It's nice when that happens.
A detail orientated industrial designer and mechanical engineer with over 20 years of practical product design experience ranging from single bespoke items to FMCG's. Supporting SME's and start-up organisations with industrial product design, strategic product development, production implementation and product design management. Projects have included developing and deploying specialist products for pre-clinical MRI devices, CT and PET systems, lighting controllers, intelligent displays, smart meters, novelty items, office furniture and patient entertainment terminals to name but a few. I have worked with start-up companies through to large enterprises, with individuals and as part of a team. I have a range of skills acquired through project involvement over the years, focusing on product trends, new and emerging technology and implementation.
- Helped to secure business worth over $5m by engineering solutions to complex problems and building relationships with key personnel in some of Europe's most established companies.
- Designed & developed bespoke products that have started trends in specific product markets.
- Solved several technically challenging mechanical problems to give my clients a competitive advantage.
- Implemented efficient design & engineering data management structures to minimise product development time.
- Added value to several industrial & consumer products by refining existing designs, improving functionality and implementing better production methods.
- Contributed to the rapid growth of a start-up venture which has won several awards since its inception.
- I have been fortunate enough to travel to some of the most interesting locations around the world through my business endeavours.
Various Contract Roles (Industrial design & mechanical engineering):
June 2003 to Present, Various companies through my own Limited company
- General project management, product solutions, project budgeting and customer/supplier liaison.
- Responsible for industrial design project lifecycles from conceptualising to detailed product development including aesthetic development, detailed engineering, technical specifications, tooling procurement and creating production drawings and technical information.
- Worked in a variety of locations, frequently managing a small team of mechanical and electronic engineers.
Comprehensive portfolio of projects including:-
- Keyboards and other 'Human Machine Interfacing' products for commercial, medical & military applications and kiosks (vandal proof and heavy usage).
- The development of unique enclosures and accessories for pre-clinical MRI, CT & PET systems.
- The aesthetic development of hospital patient entertainment systems.
- Products for orthopaedic surgery and surgeons tools.
- Cosmetically enhancing enclosures for food and drink freezer units in POS applications.
- Complex wiring harnesses for power and data distribution.
- Other innovative medical devices & consumer products.
Field Applications Engineer (keypads, dome arrays & light guides):
Jan 2011 to Jun 2013, Nelson-Miller (formerly CoActive Technologies - KDM division), Singapore & Xiamen - China
- Based in the UK with travel, I was part of a small team of two responsible for over $5m worth of business through direct sales and technical liaison with European customers including Sony Mobile Communications, Ericsson, Ingenico, Sagemcom, BMW, Vimercati and Logitech.
- Responsible for general project management and overseeing the management of key factory personnel.
- Engineered complex keypad and light guide technology solutions.
- Extensive travel to customer sites around Europe and company factories in Singapore and China.
- Excellent knowledge of high volume manufacturing processes and dealing directly with Chinese factory engineers face to face and through teleconferencing and email.
Product Development Engineer:
July 1999 to June 2003, Taylor Design Consultants, Warwick
- Designed and developed several products within a small team of engineers.
- Responsible for general project management, CAD, prototyping and general client liaison. Clients included:-
- J.C.B. Excavators (Staffordshire): Implemented seating controller arms with new cab layouts & designed structural military equipment.
- Scott Young Research (Stourbridge): Conceptualised ideas and designed industrial cleaning apparatus, mops, wringers & safety signs.
- James Lister & Sons (Wednesbury): Re-designed & improved marine gas equipment & regulators.
- European Furniture Group (Sweden): Designed office furniture & high specification seating.
I am proficient in English (my main language) and I can also speak Greek fairly fluently
Master of Design (Hon's) – Industrial Design (2:1): September 1996 to July 1999, Coventry University, West Midlands
3 A-levels & 9 GCSE's